Paddle Hard Chase Race
July 7 and 8, 2018
Schedule of Events
Saturday July 7th race will start at McIntyre’s Landing (the first beach access before the camp sites on your left). M-72 & McIntyre’s Landing Road 6.3 miles West of Grayling Grayling, MI 49738.
Both Expert 1 and Expert 2 will start together at 10am
– This portion of the race will take approximately 1.5-2 hours with a gunshot start. Paddlers will race out to an identified buoy boat. This parade lap will start with everyone facing straight out into the middle of the lake and heading towards the point you will then round an orange buoy on the right and head towards the channel again rounding an orange buoy on the right and proceed counter clockwise around the entire parameter of the lake you will pass right by the start of the race site. You MUST round EVERY buoy on the right side or be disqualified.
– Bring boat cover as last year there were a lot of waves – Campsites will be available for rent – Spectators will have easily accessible watching points with a map of these locations
Sunday July 8th race will begin at 10am at Shel-Haven Canoe Livery, 11852 West M-72 HWY Grayling Mi 49738 – Racers will start in a chase race format with combined Expert-1 and Expert-2
– Racers will be directed into the water in the order of the previous day finishing times. – Race will be approximately 2-2.5 hours, and will end down steam at CCC Bridge (landing will be marked with a finish line sign). – The Manistee River is filled with obstacle that will challenge all racers. With that being said, all racers should be cautious while racing. – Maps will also be provided for spots for spectators to watch along the course and so racers can be aware of the course layout.
BONUS: – $50 to the first team to complete parade lap on day 1
– $50 to the first women team to complete parade lap on day 1
– $50 to the youngest team paddling both days
Paddle Hard: Two free drink token will be given to all races 21yrs. of age and older to be used at paddle hard either Saturday after the race or Sunday at awards.
Awards: Awards will be held at Paddle Hard Brewery (the new location) Grayling Mi 49738 on Sunday.
Cost of Race:
Expert 1: $40 pre-entry fee, $50 day of race fee **Early Registration will end June 29th ** (Please send early registration to Hailey Halstead 900 Richardson Rd Grayling MI 49738) Expert 2: $10 per person
Chase Race Entry Form (PDF Document)
Chase Race WAIVER Form (PDF Document)
*Paddlers are welcome to do one day if they cannot attend both but cost will be the same as if they were racing both days. If persons choose to race Manistee since it is the chase race format they will need to start at the end of the pack.